Where magazines and digital meet
and have a fun time together.
I’ve probably already said enough on how I’m not crazy about the iPad edition of Newsweek, but I’m just astounded by how the app deals with trying to get rid of older issues. With my iPad constantly on the verge of being full — not surprising, considering the amount of magazines I read (especially those fat Conde Nast issues) — I have to regularly archive old issues. With 3 months of Newsweek on my iPad, I wanted to get rid of the old ones, but found no option to do so. So I figured I’d delete the app — which would delete all the data — and re-download it. This is what happens next:
- When I accessed the app again, it no longer recognized my subscription (there’s usually a line up top that indicates you are subscribed, and when it expires).
- I clicked on the “Subscribe” button, and then the “Restore” option (which worried me, because I didn’t want to restore all those back issues).
- It then asked me if I wanted to restore purchased issues (I’d purchased 1 before subscribing), and then subscription issues.
- It then asked me for my email address, which is required in the recovery process.
- I then got a message saying that details on how to restore my subscription had been sent to that email address.
- Going back to my computer and checking my mail, I was offered a link to restore the subscription.
- After that, I was told to restart the app and that I would have access to the subscription again.
The good news is that when I was back in the app, it didn’t automatically re-download all the old issues, but that doesn’t excuse that I had to go through this entire process just to delete back issues.
And the capper is that even though it states that my subscription expires June 8, I do not have access to the issue that came out today, and need to buy it. I understand how dating on magazines works (the cover date is a week from now), but here’s what I’m presented with, and I can’t see how any mainstream consumer would understand this: My app is telling me that I am currently subscribed, that the expiration date is still a few days away, but yet I cannot access the latest issue unless I buy it.
Goodbye Newsweek app, and good riddance.